Late Victorian homes were established at todayís 9403 Chautauqua Road and 9441 Chautauqua Road after Dunkirk businessmen Stephen Newton and William Bookstaver owned the land. They were shown with 170 acres here on the 1881 Atlas of Chautauqua County.
The neighborhood was known as Nortonís Switch at that time. This name came about after 1871, when the Dunkirk Warren and Pittsburgh Railroad opened its new line, later known as the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley, and Pittsburgh (DAV&P) line. The railroad passed very close to Chautauqua Road, just a short distance up hill from these homes, on the Elisha Norton farm. Various investors developed homes, timber land, vineyards, and a large poultry farm in this area near the railroad. A two-room school house was established for this neighborhood near the intersection of Chautauqua Road with Webster Road. The railroad was active in freight and passenger service for nearly 100 years.