The homes at 101 Temple, 105 Temple, 113 Temple, 119 Temple, 123 Temple, and 131 Temple were listed in the 1899 Directory for the Village of Fredonia, but all of those lots had been part of the 7.5-acre parcel shown on the 1867 Atlas of Chautauqua County and on the 1881 Atlas of Chautauqua County in the name of T. L. Higgins. Parts of this farm had been previously owned by Rosell Green and his wife Eliza B. Green, by Scott Aldrich and his wife Lydia Aldrich, by Thos. G. Abell and his wife Rhoda Abell, and by Charles Pringle and his wife Delia Pringle.
The Higgins family lived in the now well-known mansion at
20 Central Avenuein Fredonia. According to the 1881 Atlas, “T. L. Higgins, son of Isaac and Hannah Higgins, was born in , Brookfield, Conn. November 17th, 1820, and came to Fredonia with his parents in the fall of 1821. November 15th, 1840, he married Rachel Watkins, born in , Nassau, N.Y. June 5th, 1820, at that time a resident of Ellington. His father, Isaac H. Higgins, was, as was his wife Hannah, born in . He came to Fredonia in 1821. He served as supervisor of the town of Connecticut Spring, Cattaraugus county, and also as justice of the peace. Mr. Higgins is a contractor and oil producer.” Cold
In 1887, part of the Higgins lands along
Temple Streetwere sold by Thomas L. Higgins and his wife Rachel W. Higgins to Gaius M. Tremaine (Liber 227 Page 63). Other parts of the Higgins farm came into the ownership of Charles L. Webster and his wife Annie M. Webster (Liber 202 Page 343). In 1893, she conveyed another Temple Streetparcel along the Tremaine lands to Gaius M. Tremaine (Liber 239 Page 373). The wife of Gaius M. Tremaine, Sr. was Anna M. Tremaine. They also owned the two large apartment houses at Temple Streetand Central Avenue, across the street from the Higgins mansion.
The premises at
101 Temple Streetwere part of the lands which were conveyed along with 20 Central Avenuein 1904 from Annie M. Webster to Etta E. Hooker, who financed a number of Fredonia properties with her husband Warren B. Hooker. In 1920, Etta E. Hooker conveyed this home to Albert F. Dohn and his wife Emma A. Dohn (Liber 460 Page 211). The home at 105 Temple Streethad become known as a Tremaine house and then as the home of George M. Breed and his wife Gertrude L. Breed (Liber 429 Page 606 in 1917).
Gaius M. Tremaine, Jr. and his wife Isabel S. Tremaine conveyed the premises at today’s 109
and 111 Temple to Rose Waterhouse by a deed dated Temple March 25, 1909. Rose Waterhouse and her husband John A. Waterhouse conveyed the premises to John F. Luke in 1909 (Liber 351 Page 316). John F. Luke and his wife Minnie F. Luke conveyed the northwesterly house lot to Sarah E. Laux in 1911 (Liber 366 Page 144), and the southeasterly house lot to Frank A. Pemberton and his wife Alice D. Pemberton in 1914 (Liber 369 Page 327).
The house at
113 Temple Streethad become known as that of Mrs. Charles Mark. James Mark and Charles Mark had made their fortune in the production and sale of potash, western ’s earliest export product and the major reason for the area’s early deforestation. Charles Mark was generous to the Fredonia library, and he donated the two fountains in Barker Common. The lot had been conveyed from Annie M. Webster to Benjamin F. Reuther in 1893 (Liber 268 Page 93). The home at New York 117 Temple Streethad been part of the lands conveyed from Annie M. Webster to Augusta B. Dorsett in 1901 (Liber 301 Page 89). The home and lot at 119 Temple Streethad been conveyed from Annie M. Webster to Charles O. Mason in 1897 (Liber 220 Page 40). As of the 1953 Directory for the Village, George S. Mason and Mrs. Minnie S. Mason were living at this address. As late as 1979, the home was in the name of Eunice Mason.
The lots at 123
and 125 Temple had been conveyed in 1895 from Annie M. Webster to Frank L. Sackett (Liber 270 Page 87). A single home was shown here on the 1881 Atlas.. In 1921, the Sackett premises went into the name of Minnie L. Taylor. The southeasterly 55 feet of the went to Ethel A. Pierce in 1926, and the northwesterly 44 feet went to Fred C. Harrison and Ida M. Harrison the next year. The premises at 131 Temple were conveyed in 1886 from Thomas Higgins and Rachel W. Higgins to John M. Zahm (Liber 208 Page 366), measuring 5 rods (also known as 1.25 chains or 82.5 feet) along the “street fence.” A tiny triangle within the bounds of the street was conveyed along with this lot, giving the lot 1.25 chains of width at the street centerline as well. That tiny triangle had been part of the lands conveyed to John M. Zahm by Gaius M. Tremaine. Temple