Historic Mud Creek Road was shown on the 1854 County Wall Map running from an unnamed settlement at today’s Route 62 to the Waite family saw mill at today’s Page Road. On the 1867 County Atlas, the settlement at Route 62 was shown as Mud Creek, and on the 1881 County Atlas, it was shown as Clarks Corners. A home at today’s 73 Mud Creek Road was shown in 1854 in the name of J. Waite, in 1867 in the name of G. M. Waite, and in 1881 in the name of G. Waite. Next door across from today’s 48 Mud Creek Road was the home of G. M. Waite in 1854, shown as A. R. Waite in 1867, and as W. Waite in 1881. The D. Fay home was shown at today’s 3 Mud Creek Road in 1854 and 1867, and in 1881 it was shown in the name of Mrs. L. Fay. A home was shown at today’s 6 Mud Creek Road in 1881. Today’s township of Poland had been considered part of the Town of Erie in the County of Genessee in 1804. In 1808, it became part of the Town of Pomfret. In 1812, it became part of the Town of Ellicott, but in 1832 it became its own separate township. For further information about the nineteenth century in the south county, consult the Fenton History Center in Jamestown, the deed record of the Chautauqua County Clerk, and the collections of the Chautauqua Genealogical Society.