The neighborhood including today’s
25 East Avenue, 29 East Avenue, 31 East Avenue, 35 East Avenue, 39 East Avenue, 43 East Avenue, 45 East Avenue, 47 East Avenue, and 53 East Avenuewas shown on the 1867 Atlas of with six homes, and on the 1881 Atlas of Chautauqua County with ten homes. On both the 1867 Atlas and 1881 Atlas, the home on the corner, at today’s Chautauqua County 25 East Avenue, was shown in the name of N. Mitchell. In 1867, the next five homes were in the following names, respectively: H. Scofield, H. N. Fenton, Mrs. Case, Dr. A. A. Stone, and J. M. Bronson.
Dr. A. A. Stone was listed in the “Business Directory” of the 1867 Atlas as a “Dental Surgeon.” There was also an H. A. Fenton listed in the same directory with A. Peters, as “Manufacturers and Dealers in Harness, Whips, Blankets, Robes, Bells, and all kinds of small Harness work.” In 1881, the next nine homes following the N. Mitchell house at 25 East Avenue were in the following names, respectively: E. Richmond, Mrs. M. C. Shaw, R. E. Sheldon, M. Young (with two buildings), A. A. Stone, Kimball, Mrs. G. Green, and S. Doty. The 1867 Atlas had previously shown
E. Richmondwith a small building at the southeasterly corner of Main Streetand Jamestown Street. For further information about nineteenth century Sinclairville, consult the Cassadaga Valley Historical Society.